Saturday, March 16, 2013

Beautiful.

 

When I was a teenager, maybe fifteen or sixteen, someone (a really hot guy) made fun of me because my legs were so pasty white. I was totally embarrassed. Until that moment, I had not been ashamed of my paleness. However, from that moment on, my life was full of tanning beds, self tanners and any sort of artificial color I could get. I wanted to be darker, and I know that I am not the only one. Products to darken skin are everywhere in the States.

Guess what friends? I don't really tan. No matter how long I am in the sun, or how many products I use.

However, living here has given me a new perspective.

The commercials here for skin products are to lighten skin. Can you imagine, someone trying to lighten their skin? In my mind the darker the skin, the more beautiful the skin. Here in Sri Lanka, so many skin products have some sort of lightener, you have to be careful what you buy.

WHAT? Can we switch?

Then, my friends, lightening struck my brain.

It seems that no matter what you have, people want something different.

Can't EVERY skin color be BEAUTIFUL, just the way it is?

Who cares if I'm too pale? Who cares if the HOT 17 year old thinks I'm too pale and makes fun of me? I need to let it go.

It doesn't matter what color our skin is; we should think we're beautiful no matter what.

And be grateful for what we have.

So, when we move somewhere cold, and the dark winter days are upon us, my legs will be a light in the darkness.

 

So whatever your skin color, wear it proudly!

 

 


1 comment:

  1. Now I am ready to do my breakfast, after having my breakfast
    coming over again to read additional news.

    Also visit my homepage :: Lean Muscle X

    ReplyDelete